Street Touring rules evolution question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Street Touring rules evolution question
From: Dave Hillman <hillman@enteract.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:05:08 -0600 (CST)
   The most recent Street Touring rules at Jerry Mouton's great site
( http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/street_touring_rules.html ) indicate
that "No limited slip differentials, except for factory viscous coupler
type units" are legal, in Section 18.a.

   That was the last hurdle, AFAIK, to the legalization of our 1995 Nissan
240SX SE in Street Touring.

   I can find nothing else in the rules which would exclude it, other than
it possibly being 'sports-car based'.  It does meet the SCCA 'sedan'
definition, having 4 seats and 4 factory seat belts, and the chassis has
never been used for a 2 seat vehicle, AFAIK.

   I'm concerned that I see no RWD vehicles listed in the sample vehicles,
but there seems to be no comment on driven wheels in the actual rules.

   Can someone say with authority, or at least a convincing tone, that the
240SX will be ST-legal in '99?

   We're not going to run the 240SX seriously, so I won't be heart-broken
if it winds up excluded, but we've got the UTQG 160 Yokohama Nexuses for
it already, and it might be fun to try Street Touring.

   Speaking of Yokohama tires, anyone else notice that the Yokohama A032s
are *not* on the exclusion list?  Neither are Toyo RA-1s or Pirelli P-Zero
Cs.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 nma, scca, scscc, aroc, imoc