Re: Oil pressure in new engine

To: "John Slade" <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure in new engine
From: "Peter Noonan" <peter.noonan@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:42:33 +1200
John, Pull out the distributor and while cranking the engine see that the
shaft in the center of the dog drive is turning.

A pin secures the shaft to the camshaft driven cog. Known to shear.

With 4+ litres in the sump the oil pump must be drowned (and primed) but a
lower oil level and a loose pickup connection allowing air to be sucked will
give the same symptoms.

Perhaps backoff the filter and see if oil has arrived there too.
With the oil cooler there's that circuit to fill first.

20 secs may not be long enough, You'll hear the starter come on load and
slow a little when the pump pressurises.

Either that or the battery now needs a recharge........LOL

Peter