Oil pressure in new engine

To: "List, Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure in new engine
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:09:26 -0500
I've got to a point where I am looking for words of wisdom. I have
installed the engine in my almost finished restoration, and have
attempted to get some oil pressure, with absolutely no results.
Situation is as follows:-

Engine was built up from a virgin factory 1725 short block, fresh from
its original wooden crate. Bearings etc were checked OK before build-up.
Necessary additional parts were obtained from a 1725 which I have been
running for 15 years or so quite satisfactorily. All new gaskets etc.
Engine has standard oil cooler fitted, and usual Ford type screw on
filter.  Oil pressure gauge connected, rocker cover removed and rocker,
pushrods etc liberally oiled.

4 1/2 litres of Quaker State 10-30 added. Engine (less spark plugs) was
turned by handle for about 80 turns, in the expectation that some oil
might be moved around. Engine was then turned on the starter for varying
amounts of time, sometimes as long as 20 seconds. Nothing on the gauge,
and no leaks. Have gone through this routine several times...still
nothing. Removed the plastic gauge pipe at the rear of the block, and
dumped 200ml of engine oil down the pipe in the hope of some of it
reaching the oil pump for priming purposes. Turned the engine on the
starter and still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

John Slade