Re: [Re: Upgrading the Heater]

To: CANISDOG@aol.com, jsrlee@powersurfr.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Re: Upgrading the Heater]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 6 Dec 2001 10:13:10 EST
And when it is REALLY cold (and I am sure you Coloradians know about that!),
block off part of the radiator with a paper bag.  As much as 2/3rds of the
radiator.  I used to use two supermarket bags to block off 2/3rds.  However,
if you own a Sunbeam Arrow or a 69-70 Fastback, DON'T block the radiator if
you are using the correct thermostat (the one with the "foot") because as the
engine gets hotter, the heater passage is blocked by the thermostat, giving
less heat to the heater.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe (with a fair heater)
1973 Hillman Avenger DL (with a very good heater)

CANISDOG@aol.com wrote:
Ryan,
The key to good heat is an "airtight" heater chamber and good air flow.  By
this I mean everything involved with the air flow of these little gems must
be sealed as they were originally.
Any air leaks around such things as the hose's, hood latch grommet, heater
core, etc., will contribute to your problem.  When everything is right, these

heaters work pretty good.  There's nothing like an Alpine keeping your legs
"toasty" while you cruise around on a sunny but cold winter day.  :)

Top Ten "Turn up the Heat" things to check:
*  Make sure all grommets leading into the heat chamber are tight.
*  Make sure you have a good gasket around the Hood Latch dish.
*  Make sure the gasket around the heater blower motor is fresh and tight.
*  Make sure you don't have any leaves or debris in the cowl vents in front
of your windshield.
*  Make sure you don't have any leaves or debris in the small screen on top
of your heater blower motor.
*  Make sure your fresh air vents are working right and seating right when
closed so your not getting any cold air flow diluting your heat.
*  Make sure (this is a big one) your heater core is sealed on the bottom
side against the body.  This is key to making sure the air's ONLY route is
through the center of your core!  When putting the hood latch dish on, you
should get a little resistance as you "push" and "seat" the core against a
fresh seal in this area.  If your not, you may have some air making it's way
around.  That means half heated air!  I like to put a couple is cushioned
pads on those brackets that hold the core on the underside of the latch dish.

 This keeps everything tight and no rattles.
*  Make sure your heat cables are adjusted right so "hot" really means your
valve is ALL the way open.
*  Make sure your heater flaps are adjusted so heat means heat and not half
heat half defroster.
*  Of course, you need to make sure you have a core that is boiled clean and
the right thermostat in your engine.

Paul Scofield
Colorado (Rocky Mountain Cold)