Brakes binding and overheating.

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes binding and overheating.
From: Al Adams <aradams@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:38:04 -0600
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my brake problem.

Jan's suggestion that the replacement MC may not match the original
seems to be answer.  I removed the new MC and took it apart to inspect
the "innards" and compare them to the original MC that I had replaced.
There were a few of the same parts, but most of them were different.
The outside measurements of the unit itself were not the same, either.

I reinstalled the original MC and took it for a test drive.  After
several miles of travel and with lots of extra brake use, there was no
binding or overheating.  Everything was comparatively cool when I
arrived home.  Although I've rebuilt the original MC and the bore looked
good at rebuild,  I still have to pump the brakes to get them to hold.
I guess I'll need to have it resleeved and try to use it.  At $120 each,
I can't afford to keep buying new MCs until I find one that works.

>From some of the responses I received, it looks like the car should be
fitted with a brake servo, but it isn't.   Should I try to locate one?
Are they really needed?  Could the absence of the servo have anything to
do with the problem of having to pump the brakes with the original,
rebuilt MC?  Suggestions on vendors for resleeving the MC?

It looks like the solution created more questions.   Thanks again to
everyone.

Al Adams
Brandon, MS