RE: Alpines for Touring

To: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alpines for Touring
From: "Paul and Susan Almjeld" <palmjeld@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:38:15 -0600
Hi Bill:  I thought I could add my 2 cents worth to the discussion.  I have
a Series V, 1725 cc which is now much more dependable than it was when I
bought it.  To make it more reliable, and more driveable, I converted the
alternator to a Delco 63 amp.  I swapped the Lucas windshield motor for a
60's something Mopar - sorry, I just don't recall what year Plymouth was the
donor. I installed a Pertronix ignition device and a Weber 32/36 carb with
K&N air filter. The big project was the transmission exchange.  I swapped
the Alpine 4 speed for a Toyota 5 speed.  I am very well pleased with the
results.  You can read about that swap either by visiting
http://www.almjeld.com/wsnD26C.html or by going the www.sunbeamalpine.org
and clicking on the feature back issues - December, 2000.  At any rate, the
Alpine is a lot more dependable than it was and I do not hesitate about
driving long distances on the interstate.  The performance is adequate,
considering the size of the engine.  The mileage is consistently around
32/33 mpg.  It starts easily, runs smoothly and gets a lot of attention out
here in the wide open spaces of South Dakota.

Paul  #14649