Re: Alpines for Touring

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alpines for Touring
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:53:31 -0800
Everyone,
        I think the Alpine rear axle assembly is as reliable as any other
manufacture if maintenance is performed regularly (check fluids).
The point to be made is, to complete a trouble-free 1000+ mile tour, I
recommend the car needs to be "remanufactured". That's a complete
rebuild of everything and the body sheet metal is the most expensive and
time consuming part of it. I think the Rootes engine is certainly up to
the trip and as well as the Lucus electrical, but the car is not geared
for sustained 70mph crusing. The Alpine needs the overdrive or the
5-speed conversion for travel on USA highways. That's it, I wouldn't
change engine/drive train/electrical unless you are looking for
performance.
Jan
--