Alpines for Touring

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alpines for Touring
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:07:45 -0500
My wife and I have a Series V in need of a major redo.  We have recently
decided we would like to use the car for rather extended touring when we
retire in a few years.  I am concerned about two issues: excessive revs for
long trips and a breakdown 30 miles south of East Bumfuk, Nowhere.  I have
about decided to install a Ford rear axle to drop revs.  I have no faith in
the Lucas system, so it would be replaced as much as possible.  Is there
anything that should be done to the engine to dependablility? What would the
list of recommened spare parts be?   Would we be better off to replace the
entire drivetrain with something we could repair anyplace?  We are thinking of
trips 1000-1500 miles away from home.
Bill