Re: Spot welds

To: Louis & Laila <bwana@c2i2.com>
Subject: Re: Spot welds
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:51:58 -0700
Lou:

You are correct. I was saying that the welds you are making now (in
weldor's jargon, these are "plug fusion welds") are structurally
stronger than the resistance welds you are replacing. This is because
fusion of both thicknesses of metal takes place (if you have full
penetration) and the weld area is larger. Resistance welding properly
done is only fusing a smaller surface area (less than diameter of the
dimple you mention) and (for cosmetic reasons) is not allowed full
penetration. This process is cheaper, faster, and adequate on the
assembly line.

Another reason I would not recommend the "new" method is that factory
spot weldors use air-operated tongs which have sufficient pressure to
force the metal together and prevent arcing. Your Eastwood-Miller model
just has those levers. Pressure would be slight with longer tongs, and
some poor welds would probably result.

Your final method is the forge or "blacksmith" weld, which would likely
result in too much distortion on thin sheet metal, as you said. I think
you should stick to what you are currently doing, because it is likely
better than the original process.