Re: Arrow Aluminum Oil Pan

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arrow Aluminum Oil Pan
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:18:11 EDT
Jarrid,
    The alloy pans I have had are really just a big tub with a small, almost
flat, steel plate in them.  They look good, but they are a very poor design.
Using the steel sump, I never had problems with oil pressure loss but after
installing the alloy pan, my engine lost oil pressure daily when the engine
was cold.  I think the oil was centrifuged to the side of the sump, picked-up
and held by the crank assembly like taffy, starving the oil pump.  Once the
engine warmed, the oil returned freely to the sump and cornering was possible
again.  There seems to be plenty of room to install a Windage tray, and
that's on my long list of fabrication projects.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle