Re: Shiny plastic

To: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Subject: Re: Shiny plastic
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:00:22 -0700
sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com wrote:

> I'm trying to locate some kind of a resin that can be polished to a
> super high shine--something equal to the reflectance of automotive
> paint.

Dave, mention something about what you are try to do with it. Automotive
paint IS a resin material.

> I thought about the Corvette and the Lotus and I thought the early cars
> were finished in something called a "gel coat" that could be got shiny
> with polish, but I don't really know anything about those cars, or that
> kind of material.

A "gel-coat" is applied (inside the mold) to hide the glass fibers in
the part during the fiberglass lay-up process. These cars are finally
painted and no gel-coat is exposed (it is exposed as a finish in boat
fabrication).

> I'd like to be able to tint or color it black and after it hardens to
> polish it to the point where the shine will blind me.

Gel-coats are tinted before being applied at the factory only. One can
only paint the fiberglass surface after it is hardened.

> Anybody out there got some recommendations as to material,
> manufacturers, and/or tinting media?

Why not just paint it with automotive paints. You can't get any better
than using paints anyway.
Jan

--