Re: [6pack] Starting problems

To: im_sloane@hotmail.com (im sloane)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Starting problems
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:03:24 -0700
Sloane---The engine should run with the sparkplug wires "different" from
the illustration, so long as the firing order is correct and #1 plug
wire is at the #1 cap terminal when #1 cylinder is supposed to fire.
When wires get moved from "Ideal" is when cams are timed 180 out of
phase, and then the distributor has to b turned 180 to match this. (To
get the engine started)

Another way  is when the dist. drive gear is dropped into mesh with the
cam drive gear, and is off by a tooth (25+ dist. deg.) or more. This
then results in the dist. being twisted around to get the timing back.
Nearly always the result of this is that the tach drive cable being at
an odd angle relative to the firewall entrance hole.

Best to follow the Bentley manual or other noted publication and their
illustration, regarding the clocked position or the distributor drive
gear. This should put #1 plug wire close to seven o'clock on the cap,
when looking at it from over the brake master cylinder area

Dick

E-mail message

Sender: 6pack-bounces+tr6taylor=webtv.net@autox.team.net From:
im_sloane@hotmail.com(im sloane) Date: Tue, Mar 25, 2008, 1:06am
(PDT+7) To: rgperry@earthlink.net (Greg Perry), mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com
Cc: 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: [6pack] Starting problems
I've always wondered why the wires on my 69 don't match the picture in
the Hayes manual. Once 20 years ago I moved them around to match the
picture. Of course it wouldn't start, so I moved them back. (haha) Let
me know if you need a description of how they are. I'm not sure they
were just 180 off, but maybe so. It's been a long while ago.
Sloane :)
CC26455L> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:22:08 -0500> From:
rgperry@earthlink.net> To: mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com> CC:
6pack@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [6pack] Starting problems> > Mike,> >
After thoughts below:> The 69 distributor could be 180 degrees out of
phase. Since you used a working cap and wires, the order would be
correct on the new cap but wrong for the 69 distributor. Check that the
rotor points to number one when at the crank is at TDC. Also the timing
chain could have jumped a tooth about 8 degrees difference.> > > >Mike,>

My suggestions are the following:> >1. Make sure the generator gas tank
level
is above the the fuel pump.> >2. Check the ignition static timing.> >3.
verify compression.> >4. Remember the basics, fuel vapor (air and fuel),
compression and spark.> >> >Regards,> >Greg Perry>