[6pack] Starting problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Starting problems
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
I recently bought a 69 TR 6 with no rust and a great body.  It also has OD,
wire wheels and 3 year old Michelin red line tires.  I'm trying to evaluate the
engine and trans before I decide whether to do a restoration or sell it.

  The 2nd owner had it since 1971 but parked it in his garage in 1991.  In view
of the fact that it hasn't run for 17 years I expected a bit of a challenge in
getting it running but at the moment am stumped.  I replaced the points,
condenser, plugs and used the dist cap and wires off of my running 6.  It looks
like I'm now getting fire to all cylinders, which wasn't the case when I got
it.  I cleaned and refurbished the carbs, replaced the fuel pump and am using
the tank off of my generator for a fuel supply to avoid possible junk from the
tank.    I have tried using starter fluid but haven't been able to get it
running.  I took the valve cover off and the valves seem to be moving properly
though I haven't tried to check the timing.  Does anyone have any ideas.

  Mike Lunsford, 1969, 1970 and 1971 TR6s.