RE: #2 cylinder filling up with coolant

To: "jeff m" <jmackd1@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: #2 cylinder filling up with coolant
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:27:11 -0800
        Jeff:

        Make certain that you have the correct head gasket for your
block, and that it is installed correct side up.
        The early blocks have a flat deck, and require a corresponding
gasket. The later blocks have fire rings machined around the bores, and
require a different head gasket with steel fire rings. The gasket is not
marked, but must be installed right side up, or it will not seal. FYI,
the steel fire rings on the gasket face the block, so that they mate
with the corresponding grooves around the bores.
        My DPO used the correct gasket, but installed it upside down. It
was blown when I got it but no leaks, just 40PSI of compression in
number 6 cylinder. Sigh.
        BTW, you CANNOT interchange the early and late gaskets, either.
Neither one will work on the other style of block. They will leak
coolant if you get the wrong kind, or if you install them upside down.

        Vance