Re: #2 cylinder filling up with coolant

To: jeff m <jmackd1@yahoo.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: #2 cylinder filling up with coolant
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:38:21 -0600
Jeff:

You may be on the right track.  If could be a cracked block or a cracked
head.  However, from my past encounters with similar problems I would
suspect it is most likely a warped head.  If you remove the head, and check
the head gasket there may be tell tale signs on the gasket surface, of a
leak , from a coolant passage hole to #2 cylinder.

If there is a crack in the head or block it should be visible.

You can check the head surface for true using a straight edge and feeler
gauges.  You can use a carpenters square if you do not have a straight edge
handy.  Work across the head, then lengthwise and finally, diagonally.  Take
feeler gauge measurements of any gap.  Start by trying the gap with a 2 one
thousanths feeler gauge.  If you find spaces where 2 thou slides through
then work up a thousanth at a time to see how much gap there is.  If you
find any gap over 2 thou the head will need truing.   A head gasket should
seal even when a head is 2 thou out.

If the head is warped, you can get it trued by a machine shop.  Or just
remove the head, take it to a machine shop and have it checked for true.

I have only seen a warped block once, and it was in an MG.  It was trued
without disassembly of the motor.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Sask
1976 TR6