Fw: Engine upgrade vs supercharging

To: <stan.foster@hp.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Engine upgrade vs supercharging
From: "Seth Glassman" <superchargedtr6@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:16:38 -0400
From: "Seth Glassman" <superchargedtr6@gmail.com>
To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>; "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: Engine upgrade vs supercharging

 Stan,

 You're not far off in your rationale.  I did my S/C project 3 years ago and
am very satisfied although there was a sorting out process especially with
the SU carb and running way too rich.  It still does but much better with
the installation of the Petronix Second Strike unit.

 I would definitely NOT do anything to can the original compression ration.
On later model 6's 7.75 :1 is fine.  I don't recall any problems at the
higher ratios on the earlier 6's though.  I installed a little hotter cam
 then stock from Integral Cams.  They also have a grind specifically for the
TR6 S/C install.

 An engine rebuild is definitely a good thing beforehand and a piston bore
of .20 over is OK too. I would definitely "bulletproof" the bottom end with
upgraded everything. I did with upgraded con=rod bolts and bearings.  I wish
I had had the funds for upgraded pistons, rods and rings.  Mine were all new
but stock.

There are other issues which I didn't realize at the time but have learned
 since.  There is alot more torque forces applied on the right side now
since  adding the S/C. I've had to  reinforce diff mount brackets with are
 gusseted.  I also found that with the tube shock conversion installed, my
 the welds of the diff crossmember to frame rails have broken on the right
 side and the crossmember itself on the right side has a 4-6 inch crack up
 its arm toward the top flat cross area where the diff attaches.
 Fortunately, my friend who started RATCO, making new TR6 frames, has come
up with a new crossmember kit and coil over shock kit for me to install.
This should reinforce those areas and take care of the "unnatural" forces on
the frame from the tube shock conversion (as reported here a few weeks ago).

 Well, that my experience. Hope it helps in your decision

 Regards,
 Seth Glassman
 '76 (Supercharged) TR6