Re: Flywheel question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:14:27 -0700
Mike---Fear not. Your clutch will work just fine and you'll never know
the flywheel has been resurfaced. All that will happen is that the
piston in the slave cylinder will move farther down its bore to make up
this .100. It will then hold this new position. That's the advantage of
these hydraulic systems. It takes up for things like this, as well as
play in the lower linkage. There's a limit, of course, as to how far the
clutch fork will arc forward, but you haven't reached it.

Dick

From: mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com
Subject: Flywheel question

I just got my flywheel back from the machine shop. The machinist
lightened it from 28 lbs to 20 lbs and it looks like he did a great job.
When I gave it to him I also told him to resurface the face where the
clutch contacts the flywheel. When I got it back he told me that he took
.100 (1/10th of an inch) off when he resurfaced the face. As you know,
this is a LOT. My question to the list is what effect if any will this
have on the operation of the clutch? I think I have another flywheel and
if necessary can probably dig it out of my pile of car parts and have it
redone. TIA.
    Mike Lunsford