Re: 205/70-15 vs. 215/70-15

To: peketzu@verizon.net, paradigm_inc@comcast.net,
Subject: Re: 205/70-15 vs. 215/70-15
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:38:25 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/2006 8:38:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
peketzu@verizon.net writes:

I have  205-70/15's mounted on 6.0 x 15 Revolution 5-spoke alloys [73.1  C/B,
ET08?].  These tires are as wide as anyone should want to go as I  get some
slight rubbing on the front wings when backing up at full  lock.

This is why you need to know how the offset of your chosen wheel (IMHO)
before you decide on tire size.
(We may get mixed up on terms here, but I'll try to explain what I  mean)
There is no way on earth that a 205-70/15 tire will make contact with  the
front wings on a stock wheel or any wheel with the same front space  (distance
from hub face to outer wheel edge) as a stock wheel. Your Revolution  wheels
must have an offset which pushes the outer wheel edge farther outboard  than
the
stock wheel for this to occur (not a bad thing for handling  though!)
Before I ordered 215/70 15s for my 15x6 American Racing wheels I carefully
measured and compared them to the stock steel wheels and found that the front
space is exactly the same as the stock steel wheels - that is the entire extra
 1/2 inch in wheel width is inboard of the hub face - including the extra
tire width, I figure the 215 70s will be near but clear of the trailing arms in

the rear, touch the sway bar at full lock in front, but come no where near
the  fenders at any point.
When I finally get the wheels cleaned and powder coated and the tires
mounted, I'll let you know if i was right.

Cheers
Jack Mc