Re: Ignition dropping out

To: Robert Sarama <lucasdistributors@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Ignition dropping out
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
I got a few interesting suggestions of things to check on my ignition problem.

- Possible bad coil
- Check the grounds
- Change the module
- Check the voltage / wiring to the coil

I poked around a little bit more and discovered that the spade connectors on
top of the (original 32 year old??) coil are only marginally fastened. A rivet
holds down the spade connector and they are sort of loose to swivel around and
what not. So I think my first order of business will be to replace the coil
with a new one. I had been using a stock coil for long time with no issues so
I'd like some recommendations about which direction to go with the replacement
coil.

- Just use an stock coil again?
- Go with a Lucas 'sport coil'?
- Go with one of the Crane Cams branded coils to 'match' the XR700 ignition
module?

I'm trying to sort out which one I want to buy and if I need to get one that
will just continue to work with the ballast resistor wire in place, or if I
should go ahead and bypass the ballast resistor and go with a coil that doesn't
need a ballast resistor.

Kendall
San Clemente, CA