Re: Speedometer/Odometer

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer/Odometer
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:44:59 +0100
Michael Samuels wrote:
> My question is, why would our speedometers agree almost perfectly, but our
> odometers be different by 4%?  Also, is 18 mpg (or really 17, when you
> take
> the odometer inaccuracy into account) in mixed driving (but plenty of
> highway at
> about 65 mph) similar to others with similarly modified, non-overdrive
> cars?

Michael,

Any chance of getting your hands on a back copy of an original press
road-test? I know for a fact that with the UK publications (i.e. 'Autocar'
and 'Motor') it was standard practise to state speedo and mileage recorder
error in the technical blurb at the end of each report.
Anyone got one?
As I'm sure others may point out, there was not just one M.P.H. speedo
supplied from the factory over the years. Without doubt, any cars specified
to have Michelin X or XAS Redline tyres fitted in production had to have the
speedo head changed because of a different rolling radius to the standard
issue Goodyear tyres for the US market. This applied to all models and not
just TR's.

Jonmac