Re: Fuel delivery problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel delivery problem
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:07:54 -0700
 Michael----While it sounds like something is clogged in the fuel
system, don't spend days looking for a possible phantom. Take off the
fuel line going to the carburetors and let the engine idle while this
fuel is caught in a jug of some kind. If the pump keeps gushing fuel out
the whole time (till the carbs run out of fuel) the problem may not be
in the fuel delivery system.
Seeing a  half-full fuel filter is not
uncommon. (Air gets trapped)

Your comment about *the engine revving normally  when you pushed in the
clutch makes it sound ignition related. "Under load" is key, here.

Dick

From: mgc4@cdc.gov(Campsmith, Michael)

Fellow listers:
I'm having an intermittent fuel flow problem with my 1974 TR6 and wanted
to get your thoughts on possible causes and solutions.
Three weeks ago I was driving in town and the car

started to sputter and cough
under load,

*but if I pushed in the clutch it would rev normally.

Finally it stalled and I coasted into a parking lot. When I popped the
hood I noticed that the see-through fuel filter was only about 1/3 full.
I let the car sit for a while and started it back up; however it only
drove another half mile before it stalled again. The fuel filter was
again less than full and this time I disconnected the hose from the
outlet side of the filter--fuel flowed freely out of the filter. I put
everything back together and drove home without incident. Since it was a
hot day and the tank was near empty I thought it might have been due to
low volume so I filled the tank and forgot about it.
Today I was on the highway driving to an event in north Georgia when it
did the same thing. Same stalling, same nearly empty fuel filter, same
ability to drive home after I confirmed fuel was flowing through the
filter. When I got home the fuel filter was observed to be full.....

Your ideas are most appreciated.
Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now BRG)