Re: RE: pop rivets - GRRRR!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: pop rivets - GRRRR!
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:43:59 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

I wanted to let you know how the story about the (blankety-blank) pop
rivets concluded. As it turns out I did not take the car back to my
body man. Too much trouble I decided. After reading all of the email
replies I got (this list is de' bomb!) I decided that this can't be as
hard as it appears. I took the advice of making sure I got some
aluminum rivets and swiped the little unscewable thingamabob off the
top of a spark plug. Then I experimented with some scrap sheet metal.

It turns out that the rivet pins were too short when I used the plug
thingy on them. So I removed it and squeezed the rivet tool one time
to extend the pin a bit. Then I put the plug thingy on the pin and
this time the tool was able to get a purchase on the pin. Two more
squeezes on the tool and the rivet was popped. Final inspection showed
a perfectly seated rivet! This method repeatedly gave perfect results
without fail.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED! I shall raise a glass of
Chateau Thunderbird vintage 2005 1/2 in your honor, gents.

Now I have another problem. There's been cold northwest wind blowing
at Villa d'Jones. She Who Must Be Obeyed has decreed that "Dam-- Car"
is becoming an issue. Unless all due measures and efforts are made to
restore it to service and clean up the mess and associated clutter,
She may turn the car into a planter/cat litter box. While this icy
gale is not presently threatening to blow our matrimonial tramp
steamer into the rocks, I confess that She has becoming decidedly
un-subtle with remarks about my beloved TR. So dear chaps I leave this
as a cautionary tale to any of you upsetting your domestic tranquility
with a major "Home Refurbishment" without consulting with the
Commander In Chief. Things could get a bit dicey if you don't!

Thus I prepare to pour another mason jar of T-Bird down my thoart as I
contemplate the challenge ahead. FWIW, this stuff keeps me regular,
adds color to my cheeks, and I have a reasonable chance of getting
blotto on only a few glasses.

Ta Ta for now.
Jim