pop rivets - GRRRR!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: pop rivets - GRRRR!
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

After reading Steve Wilson's email, I'm almost embarrased to whine about my
"problem". The "new normal" he talks about is what a LOT of folks are going
through. There are even a few dozen Gulf Coast evacuees all the way up here in
Mid-MO!

Anywaaaay..... I have an issue with pop riveting the tonneau and hood studs on
my car with its brand new paint job. Just to make sure I knew I had the "right"
parts I ordered all new studs and pop rivets from a well known big-3 vendor. I
know I was paying more than I needed to for the parts, but I wanted the peace
of mind. Well to make a long story short, things aren't going well. Only about
a third of the studs I attempted to install riveted correctly. Another third
were loose, with only half the pin cut off. On the remaining third the rivets
were so snug that they split the studs.

ARRRGH! Hasen fratzen gmorphen fretenhowsin RIVETS!

Is there some great secret to doing this? Do I need to sign up for Remedial
Pop-Riveting at the community college? Whyizzit that the little chores that
should be a snap end up being the ones causing the most frustration? This
cannot possibly as difficult as it seems to be, can it???

End of rant. Any help is appreciated.

Jim Jones
(I need drink!)