RE: Electronic ignition

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electronic ignition
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:50:53 -0400
Just an opinion, but I would never go to an aftermarket electronic ignition

on any Triumph unless I was looking for top performance under race
conditions.  I have one, the MK 3 Spit converted and it is big time
modified for
autocross. I don't drive it on the street.  The rest are  points except the
Wedges
which are factory electronic and not really known to be  reliable.  Why?
Basic, if the electronic ignition fails you are flat  out dead in the water,
on the
side on the road and all that rot. A lot of guys  with Petronics electronic
have learned to carry the points in the glovebox so  they can put them back
in
and carry on when (not If) this conversion  fails.
Darrell

My two cents worth:
I have had a Petronix in my TR6 for 10 years, never an issue. I put the same
style unit in my mini and to date no failure. I have one ready for my TR3
and my guess is that will work also. I like the unit as it is hidden with no
box or any visibility from the out side being anything different from a set
of points. The only thing that can fail is the crown with the magnets. This
has been known to come apart and the magnets jump causing failure. I keep a
spare crown in the tool box of each car. Still have to get a spare for the
TR3. I guess it's all a matter of preference.
Robert L. Gannon
http://home.comcast.net/~trsix74/wsb/index.html