Electronic ignition

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic ignition
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:44:07 EDT
List members:

One of the reasons I purchased my '76 recently was an extensive list of
engine modifications including a complete engine rebuild, a balanced and
lightened flywheel, cylinder head porting, "bowl work" (whatever that means), a

high-performance cam, headers, a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio, cold-air
induction,
and a new radiator.  The previous owner claims that the car makes about 145  hp
at the flywheel, which seems about right as acceleration is comparable to the
 '70 PI which I used to own.

Anyway, I was looking under the hood the other day and realized that
something I expected was missing--there was no electronic ignition box screwed
onto
the side of the engine compartment.  My '70 had this  modification.  I took
off the distributor cap, and it looks to me like a  regular breaker/points
system.  I admit that I haven't ever seen one  before, but it looks like the
photo
in the Haynes manual.

My question is:  Is a conversion to electronic ignition pretty  universal at
this point, or is it unnecessary if the original type system is  functioning
well?  What are the differences in maintenance?  The  manual discusses
examining the condition of the points from time to time to look  for wear or
pitting.
If this is a once or twice a year thing, I don't  mind, but if a conventional
ignition system will be a constant headache, I will  switch it over using an
MSD system or the like.

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue