RE: upgrades

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: upgrades
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:57:53 -0700
        Mark:

        If you are serious about economy, raise the compression and
install a vacuum advance
dizzy on your car. These will get you more power and measurably better
fuel economy, with
considerably less cost and complication.
        FI by itself will not affect your mileage. It can improve power
if you go to
multi-point fuel injection. But throttle body injection will not get you
much if any additional
power by itself. You get drivability and emissions with TBI because of
it's extreme precision,
and it's ability to make minute adjustments via feedback from an O2
sensor. Multi-port gets you
more power because you eliminate mixture variation across the cylinders
so each cylinder
is optimized, but TBI suffers from the same distribution issues as a
carburetor. This is why you
seldom (never?) see TBI on cars any more - the emissions regs are so
strict that you cannot afford
to permit any variation across the cylinders.
        The vacuum advance is a great economy device as it permits
additional ignition advance under
cruise conditions. The older 6s had them, and they come up for auction
periodically on eBay.
        Just my $0.00002 worth.

        Vance