Re: Interesting Horn Problem

To: <shannm2@triad.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting Horn Problem
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:19:54 -0600
Shannon, with the key out the steering wheel lock is engaged and when you put
it back in and turn it the steering lock is retracted.  Me thinks that your
horn is somehow getting grounded thru the steering wheel theft lock mechanism.
You need to see if the button end of the horn is grounded when the key is
inserted and in the off position (lock retracted).  There should be a wire
that bridges the rubber coupling next to the battery, and another wire at the
lower end of the steering column that gets grounded to the car (on my 76 its
connected at the steering gear fill plug, but I think there is another wire
that goes to a solid ground).  Anyway I think you get the idea.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6
Louisville, CO

Shannon wrote:
I have a neat little problem with my horn... It works great, when ignition
isn't on.  For example;  with the key off, I press the horn button, "BEEP".
I insert the key, press the horn button, "BEEP".  I turn the ignition key to
any setting, press the horn button, "....", nothing.  I turn the key back to
off, press the horn button, "....", again nothing.  I take the key out,
press the horn button, "BEEP".

I've checked the horn relay, everything seems ok. I can jump it at any time
and get it to work.  Under the dash, I've grounded the wire after it comes
out of the steering column and again I can make the horn go "BEEP".  I've
taken the steering wheel off and veryified that the switch works... funny
thing is: it almost seems that the steering column "looses it's ground" when
the key is turned if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon