Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:38:19 -0400
All of this talk about the above-mentioned items is quite
illuminating. For quite some time my car ate caps and rotors on a
pretty regular basis, like every 2000 miles or so. I got tired of it
and figured the distributor needed a rebuild, so I had that done last
summer. I also figured the bargain aftermarket caps and rotors may
not be entirely up to snuff, so I ordered a set of genuine Lucas
bits. When the newly freshened distributor arrived I installed it,
set the timing, and popped on the new Lucas bits. Ran like a champ
until the rotor shed its wiper about 500 miles later and left me
stranded on the roadside, fortunately within walking distance of
home. I returned with another new set of bits, fixed the car and
drove home. The car ran for another 1000 miles or so before I felt
the familiar missing and such from perished cap and rotor.

It would seem that the problem is one of parts quality and basic
design. Are others in the same situation? What solutions exist for
better quality parts or design modifications? I ditched the points
long ago in favor of a Crane ignition unit, so at least there is one
less thing to worry about.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (28 year owner)