Re: Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I had excellent success in the 80's and 90's with parts from NAPA, the
caps had the brass/copper terminals and the rotors were well made. The
only problems that I had with those was the periodic build-up inside the
cap which led to arcing... I still feel that those parts (source unknown,
but parts numbers were EP44 and EP55 (I think) for the cap and rotor)
were of very high quality. I tossed the points in that setup long ago and
went with Crane which worked without any hint of a problem for something
like 5 years...

The stuff that you buy now from the various sources can have dubious
heritage, and I'd never touch a cap with aluminium terminals and I'd
double check that the rotor wiper is secure in the rotor plastic casting.

We also used to see a lot of interference problems where folks tried to
mix/match rotors and caps. That was a bad plan with the expected result of
either/or a failed rotor and cap.

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx