Re: 200 MPG Carburetor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 200 MPG Carburetor
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:05:44 -0700
Let's not forget how this thread started.....It was the idea that
someone, somewhere, had a 200 MPG CARBURETOR.  Not a hybrid, turbo
diesel, or any exotic of some kind or another.   Carburetors, we know,
are a compromised method that lets engines suck fuel thru them. Nothing
is remotely close to this 200 figure. Not even the lean-burning, ultra
zero emission engines with all that modern technology has to offer.
I see no way for an internal combustion engine to pull the weight of a
car, as we know it, this efficiently.  Especially with a carburetor.

Mix the numbers, perfect the adiabiatic engine toss in wishfull
thinking, do creative math. Call me a cynic. It ain't gonna' happen.

Dick

Ed wrote:
Dick:
Our common internal combustion engines have a "well-to-wheels"
efficiency of a mere 10 to 15% because of the way fuel is used. Fuel is
burned as raw gas and gas mist, and a slim possibility of a bit of real
gas vapor, but not burned as components of the fuel. The benchmark of
"available energy" in fuel is based on our inefficient method of use.
Current hydrogen fuel cells that require hydrogen plants and new
infrastructure have been calculated to have a 29% fuel efficiency while
commercial gas/electric hybrid vehicles already have achieved 32%.
So we have the ordinary car getting about 30 mpg at 15% efficiency.
And the current hybrid car getting about 60 mpg at about 32% efficiency.
That in itself shows that around 180 mpg would be attainable if near
100% efficiency was attained.
With better technology, higher figures could be possible, and 100 MPG is
not out of the current range of reality, at least according to Guinness:
John Taylor, holder of numerous Guinness long-distance driving records
in Australia and in Europe, drove the Peugeot 406 from Melbourne to
Rockhampton without a stop for fuel. The car was almost new, with 5,000
km on the clock. John said: 3Without a doubt, the 406 turbo diesel was
the obvious choice for attempting to break this record. It is easily the
most economical, yet powerful car that I have had the privilege to
drive.
  "We averaged an astounding consumption figure of only 2.88 l/100
km, or 97.96 mpg.2 Setting off from the Melbourne suburb of Hillside,
John and his wife Helen, along with an official Guinness Book of World
Records observer, took 36 hours to make the journey to Rockhampton with
$52.13 worth of fuel in the tank.
  3One of the most pleasing aspects of achieving this fantastic
result with the Peugeot 406, was the fact that we achieved it in a real
world situation," John said. "We drove via the normal highways that most
people would use when heading north, with three adults and their luggage
on board.
  Far too often, long-distance driving attempts are made on closed
test tracks, or in the empty country side along vast stretches of long
straight roads.2
  3We set the record in a fashion that most Australians would be
completely familiar with, when they take their annual holidays.2
Some people would scoff at the possibility.
Ed Bratt
1976 TR6