Re: 200 MPG Carburetor

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: 200 MPG Carburetor
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:38:37 -0600
Dick:

Our common internal combustion engines have a "well-to-wheels" efficiency of
a mere 10 to 15% because of the way fuel is used.  Fuel is burned as raw
gas and gas mist, and a slim possibility of a bit of real gas vapor, but not
burned as components of the fuel.  The benchmark of "available energy"
in fuel is based on our inefficient method of use.

Current hydrogen fuel cells that require hydrogen plants and new
infrastructure have been calculated to have a 29% fuel efficiency while
commercial gas/electric hybrid vehicles already have achieved 32%.

So we have the ordinary car getting about 30 mpg at 15% efficiency.
And the current hybrid car getting about 60 mpg at about 32% efficiency.
That in itself shows that around 180 mpg would be attainable if near 100%
efficiency was attained.

With better technology, higher figures could be possible, and 100 MPG is not
out of the current range of reality, at least according to Guinness:

John Taylor, holder of numerous Guinness long-distance driving
records in  Australia and in Europe, drove the Peugeot 406 from Melbourne to
Rockhampton  without a stop for fuel. The car was almost new, with 5,000 km
on the clock.  John said: 3Without a doubt, the 406 turbo diesel was the
obvious choice for  attempting to break this record. It is easily the most
economical, yet  powerful car that I have had the privilege to drive.
 "We averaged an astounding consumption figure of only 2.88 l/100
km, or  97.96 mpg.2  Setting off from the Melbourne suburb of Hillside, John
and his wife Helen,  along with an official Guinness Book of World Records
observer, took 36  hours to make the journey to Rockhampton with $52.13
worth of fuel in the  tank.
 3One of the most pleasing aspects of achieving this fantastic result with
 the Peugeot 406, was the fact that we achieved it in a real world
 situation," John said. "We drove via the normal highways that most
people  would use when heading north, with three adults and their luggage
on board.
 Far too often, long-distance driving attempts are made on closed
test  tracks, or in the empty country side along vast stretches of long
straight roads.2
 3We set the record in a fashion that most Australians would be
completely  familiar with, when they take their annual holidays.2

Some people would scoff at the possibility.

Ed Bratt
1976 TR6