Re: Iron Butts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Iron Butts
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:22:46 -0800
Erik----Plenty of advice has come your way about what to pack. So ar as
"what to see". I don't think anything is as awesome as the landscape as
at's found in the canyon countries of Arizona. This would include Bryce
Canyon with all of ts colors, Zion Canyon with its sheer walls (great to
see when the top is down) and of course, the Grand One. (North rim
closed in winter)
 From Los Angeles, take I-40 east to just before Flagstaff, Az. Head
north. Lots to see here with a little bit of zigging.  From I-15 and up
onto I-70 heading east, you'll want to stop at Arches Nat'l. Park, in
Utah, just before the Colorado border.

I've also used I-10, I-40, I-70, I-80 when making the coast-to-coast.
Each has it's own pleasures to offer.

In 1991  I got picked up doing 72 in a 65 mph zone, on a six lane, wide
open interstate in Colorado. Airplane surveillance. Watch for the "white
markers" on the side of the road that they use to measure
distance-to-speed!

Dick
L.A.

Eric wrote:
I've been reading with interest people's experiences with long
cross-country drives. I'm planning one of my own from Los Angeles to
Long Island in my 74' daily driver. Do those of you who have made these
treks have any words of wisdom in regards to preparing the car for the
trip? What extra parts/tools were brought along?

 Any particular routes to avoid (speedtraps), or any routes of
particular beauty to recommend?
Erik S.