Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:20:57 -0600
 Not sure if anyone has had this difficulty removing brake pistons, but since
TRF can't seem to rebuild my rt caliper after 2 FAILED attempts, I've been
trying to break down an extra 16P caliper. Well the piston was stuck tighter
than a drum, so after unbolting the two halves and trying to free it up with a
hammer with no success another method was tried. Now this will ruin the piston
of course, but that didn't matter since it was so rusty. A piece of flat stock
18" long was welded to the edge of the piston, then two bolts were put through
the caliper half which was clamped in a vice by the bolts. The the flat stock
was tapped with a hammer till loose then rotated back and forth by hand until
it was pulled free.
  Wow you should have seen the crap that was behind the pistons, more reason
to replace seals in the complete brake system when replacing the master
cylinder as Kai has mentioned.
 The reason I'm not rebuilding the caliper TRF "rebuilt" is because it's a
16BP and the other side is a 16P the correct caliper for my car. Don't know
how the mismatched pair ended up on the car.

Oh well just thought someone might find this trick useful.

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
View My 1969 TR6 restoration
http://www.triumphowners.com/registry.cgi?sectionID=111014&vehicleID=92<http: