Re: Panasports

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Panasports
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:59:19 -0800
 Doug---Your best "sporting" tire for your Panasport wheels hinge
somewhat on the width of the rim. If you have 7 inchers, go with the
225x60, for a 26.6 height.  (More rubber on the road)
If you have 6 inchers, go with the 205x65, for  26.5.
215's are also a good compromise for either rim width.
Check "Tire Rack" or other good distributors. I'd stay with a tire that
gives a speed rating of at least an "H".  Tread patterns are important
to some, and there are many to choose from, as you know. Expect to pay
in the neighborhood of $100 up for a decent tire.

Dick

TRIUMPH6PK@aol.com Date: Sun, Mar 27, Subject: Re: 16" Panasports
Dick,
        Obviously my memory has failed me. After reading
your response I drove to Ann Arbor where my car sits in storage and read
the tire size. I bought those Michelin red line tires in 1978 and the
size on them reads 185 R 15 with no aspect ratio listed as I thought
there was. Coker tire lists them as 26.5" diameter which is consistent
with my crude measurement of circumference 83.25" and diameter of 26.5"
using a piece of wire and tape measure.
        In order to obtain the same diameter as the
original using 16" rims, therefore the 26.5"=16"+2(aspect ratio x width)
or 5.25"= (aspect ratio x width), in metric terms the 5.25 becomes
133.35 mm.
        So, if I go with the 215's I need an aspect
ratio of 62% (133.35/215)and if I go with 205's I need an aspect ratio
of 65%(133.35/205) to keep the original diameter and avoid a lot of
"wheel well" exposure as you indicated.

Does anyone have a good tire recommendation for this size?
Thanks Doug
Ypsilanti MI