Re: Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trick for removing stuck brake caliper pistons
From: apackard68@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:56:21 +0000
Don et al:
The brake caliper pistons are what seals against the rubber, not the cavity in
the caliper itself.  If you use standard pistons rather than stainless, the
rust in the cavity can spread to the piston, causing problems at the seal.
Stainless should minimize or eliminate this risk.
I separated and media blasted my calipers and rebuilt with new stainless
pistons and the standard rebuild kit, plus the o-ring between caliper halves.
They've worked great ever since, and that's been nearly 10,000 miles ago.  The
note about the crud in the lip where the piston seal sits is noteworthy, as I
also had to use a small screwdriver with shop towel bits and emory cloth to
thoroughly clean this area, even after media blasting.
Andy Packard
CD 6746L
2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Hyper Blue (coming May 15)