Re: Head removal

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Head removal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:25:07 -0800
Joe---It should be easier to take the head from the block with the
engine still bolted to the motor mounts. Here's a few of the suggestions
given by others on the list:

(Note that all of these are more successful with the studs removed.
Penetrating oil should be liberally used before trying the double-nut
method)

a) Use a pry bar under the lip at the front, manifold side of the head,
using the right front mount as the lever base.

b) Use a jack (on the floor) and a 2X4 under the same head lip, as in
a.)

c) Feed two measured lengths of rope down the sparkplug holes, on mated
cylinders, preferrably #1 & 6, so the timing on TDC is visable at the
pulley.
Since the rocker shaft is removed, no valve damage can occur.
Turn the crank (with its front bolt) clockwise, till you feel the rope
being squashed between the piston tops and the head. If enough rope was
in place there will be resistance. If you feel the pistons going "over
center" you need to back up and feed in more rope. Try to get a flying
start on this turning of the crank.

d)  If compressed air is available, some owners have popped the head
loose by using equipment such as for a leak-down test. (The crankshaft
should be held fast to keep it from turning)

5) Drastic measures include filling mated cylinders with oil, and
hitting the starter.

Dick Taylor

Joe Davis wrote:
I know this has been beaten to death, but....I haven't been able to get
my head off...yet. The motor is still in the car, and I'm able to "rock"
the head a little, so I know it is free. I've been succesfull in
removing only a few of the head bolts. I've tried the double nut method,
but no matter how I tighten the nuts together, they both spin off
without pulling the stud.   Any suggestions? I'm tempted to use the
engine lift to pull the head off.   Must the studs be pulled out to
remove the head. Otherwise, I'm afraid the rocking will damage the head
bolts. Given the contortions I'm putting myself through, it might be
easier to remove the head with the engine out of the car (which I'm
doing anyway).
Joe Davis