Re: my car stinks

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: my car stinks
From: Btp44@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:16:43 EDT
Joe-I went through pretty much the same problems as you are having-exhaust
and gas smell in the cockpit and trunk. If I carried luggage in the trunk it
had
to be put in a trash bag. Anyway, someone on the list suggested installing
the trunk seal with the gap at the top instead of the bottom. It seems to have
solved the exhaust smell.  As far as the gas odor, the biggest offender is the
hose between the cap and the tank. Replacing the hose, a little dab of
permatex, and carefull fitting of the hose and clips will eliminate that
source. I
had a slight leak around the gasket on the tank drain plug which also
contributed to the smell. Since I removed the tank and sealed it with a kit
from POR,
the smell has completely disappeared.
Berry Price

Check out the new British Cars Forum: