my car stinks

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: my car stinks
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:19:11 -0400
Hi folks,I think I'm going to have to put the TR away for the season early.
The reason...the car STINKS!  I've tried to sort out all the sources for my
exhaust leak as suggested by the list last year....but, I'm going to throw it
out one more time.  Does anyone know why the interior of my trunk and cockpit
smell so badly of exhaust?  I can't drive it with the top up.  Even with the
windows opened, and the back unzipped, the stench (and woozy feeling) is
unbearable.  It seems like it is coming over my left shoulder. I've checked and
replaced the trunk seal, checked and caulked around the transmission tunnel,
replaced all the rubber plugs in the trunk, and I have no rust holes.  My dual
exhaust is pretty new, exits about 2 inches beyond the bumper, and I can't find
any leaks.  The car runs a little rich, but doesn't smoke at all.  I cant find
any leaks in the engine compartment, but I recently found that I can't fill the
gas tank past 1/2 without smelling gas in the car as well.  I overfilled the
tank a couple of weeks ago, and found a puddle of gas in the trunk.  I can't
find the source of this either, but I assume that the flexible coupling between
the tank and the cap must be bad.  Is it possible that there is a problem with
the gas tank vent?  The tank looks dry.  The smell in the trunk and in the car
is definitely exhaust, not gas.  Any ideas?  My wife won't go anywhere with me.
 (this is a bad thing)Joe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: