Re: Engine Disassembly Question

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Disassembly Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:22:18 -0700
Joe Davis wrote:
Hi folks
I disassembled my engine yesterday. A couple of questions: Can someone
please describe how the crank timing gear, oil thrower is removed? I
don't know how to get the key out.

Joe---Others alredy covered this, but I'll add my personal experiences
to this.
Oil the crankshaft liberally before pulling off the crank sprocket,
using a gear puller.
Keep tapping the woodruff key back, as the sprocket comes out.
Loosen the cam sprocket bolts, so as to not bend the chain.

< Also, how do you determine the health of the timing gears? The teeth
on mine are pretty pointed. I was hoping to reuse the gears if for no
other reason than to use the timing marks.>

Preferrably using a new timing chain, wrap it around the used sprocket,
It should follow the contour at all of the teeth, and not be sloppy at
the root of the teeth. A good, used sprocket can last longer than some
of the aftermarket new ones.

< Is the expensive chain that TRF offers worth the money compared to the
less expensive?>

If you take your engine down and change the chain every 50,000 miles or
so, the cheap chain will probably hold up that long. A "good" chain
should last twice as long. The "wrap" test will confirm this.

< Does the Richard Good GP2 cam ($300) offer an advantage to TSI S2 cam
($120.00)?> Joe Davis

I don't know.

Dick

Check out the new British Cars Forum: