RE: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:51:10 -0700
        Don:

        Copper is for leveling and for good adhesion.

        Nickel is used to seal the surface against moisture, and is gray/silver
in color.

        Chrome is for appearance and luster, and is bright metallic silver in
color.

        You must use nickel because chrome plating is porous, and the item will
rapidly
become weathered with rust spots and "pimples" if you don't first plate with
nickel.
The nickel is completely covered by the chrome, and is not visible once the
chrome
plating is performed.
        Cheap chrome plating skips the copper and/or nickel with resultant
peeling and/or
rusting when the item is exposed to weather.

        Vance