Re: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION

To: "Michael Greene" <m.e.greene@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:09:41 -0700
Michael,

The thing about the plating shop's statement that I find unusual is that
they don't use copper plating.  Copper is largely used for it's ability to
level and fill topographical irregularities such as pits and any roughness
resulting from whatever abrasives have been used in refinishing the part.
After copper plating the part can be buffed to further smooth the surface in
preparation for nickel and finally chrome plating.  Copper lends itself to
buffing fairly well, but nickel does not as it is very hard.  I'm suspicious
of this shop's process and believe there is something in the background that
is causing this shop to avoid the use of copper (I do not wish to guess what
the reason is because there are so many potential reasons).

Gary
'73