Re: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CHROME BUMPERS CHEMICAL PROCESS QUESTION
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:57:45 -0400
I would agree with Gary.

This is the same process that the shop I went to used. I believe it's
what got me in trouble.

As I understand the triple process, the copper is used to level the part
and fill the pits.  It is soft and lends itself to filling in pits. It
may take several passes to fill in and grid down. I believe the nickel
is the silver color and the chrome is clear.

What it all means is that if they just use nickel all they can do is
grind out the pits as best they can once and then plate with the nickel.
If they use copper they can plate the copper up and then grind it down
several times to get it smooth. It's a lot more work and money.

That's what damaged my parts. All he could do was grind out the pits.
The grinding left depressions and waviness that he could not fill with
copper and grind again to level the surface. I also think they were
careless and sloppy about it. It left tool marks in the chrome that they
could not fill and smooth. They actually ground holes in two of my parts.

That is my theory/speculation about what happened to my parts.

My guess is if your chrome is in good condition and they are careful
about what they are doing it will work out.

After my experience, I would avoid the process, or be very explicit
about what you expect. Especially in regard to remaining pits and
smoothness and waviness. Make them agree to replace the parts if your
requirements are not met. That way they are betting their money not your
money. If they don't agree, they have no confidence in their ability to
do it right. I'd walk in that event. Ask to see similar finished parts.
I asked to see finished parts but they were not similar to the ones I
had trouble with. Not all my parts were bad. They seemed to do better
with flat surfaces than with curves -- I think they were just sloppy in
that regard.

I have about $800 in rare parts that have been damaged. And that's at
used prices which will require rechroming. If you talk NOS prices, maybe
$1600 to $2400. That's for eight parts.

My impression is that triple plate is more expensive but a lot more
forgiving. They can replate the copper and regrind to correct their
mistakes.

Don Malling