Rough idle REDUX; status report

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rough idle REDUX; status report
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:42:54 -0700
        Listers:

        I had reported previously my travails in getting my 6 to
idle properly, and to obtain a response to mixture
adjustments. The car simply refused to idle without at least some
choke applied when warm, and the idle loped badly.
        I have focused on the air valve springs and diaphragms in
my ZS carburetors the last few days, because pushing the air valves
fully home while the car is idling caused a much smoother, faster
idle.
        I replaced my old, very limp diaphragms with new ones,
and I stretched my old springs from their original length to
6-1/16" based on some measurements of new springs provided on the
list.
        Well tonight I buttoned everything up, and started the 6.
        I am happy to report that the car now idles quite happily
without the choke, and I can at least somewhat adjust the idle speed
and the mixture. I cannot adjust the mixture enough, as I get to the full
rich setting before the car begins to completely smooth out.
        I went ahead and ordered new springs for the air valves, and they
are due next week, so I will update folks again when the new springs
arrive.
        I do want to claim major progress though, as I no longer need to
use the choke to get the car to idle. I am convinced that the new springs
will fix me up, or very nearly so. I also observed that the air valves are
now only lifting 1/16 - 1/8" now, as opposed to nearly twice that before
the new diaphragms and stretched springs.
        Thanks for all the help so far, let's keep those fingers crossed
that this is really going to work!

        Cheers,

        Vance