RE: Rough idle REDUX; status report

To: <Mickylong@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rough idle REDUX; status report
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:22:16 -0700
    Micky:

    I am not sure which vacuum port you are referring to. If it is the one I
am thinking of (On the top of
the rear carb, very near the intake manifold) then you should not get any
vacuum reading at idle.
    This port is for the EGR valve, and the EGR valve will be closed at idle
and low throttle settings when the engine is fully warm. If the EGR valve
opens when the car is idling, the car will stall, hence the absence of any
vacuum at this port when the car idles.
    FYI, the port will also show 0 vacuum at WOT. The EGR valve closes under
hard acceleration to insure maximum power. This is why it is silly to
disconnect the EGR in an attempt to get more performance; disconnecting the
EGR merely increases emissions and lowers fuel economy, without improving
performance.
    If you use this port to measure vacuum at idle, it should measure 0
vacuum. Try the vacuum booster port, or the vacuum port that connects to the
carbon canister (right next to the vacuum booster line). Early cars will not
have the carbon canister port, but if you have the EGR port, you will have the
carbon canister port.

    Vance