Re: Rough idle REDUX; status report

To: "'Mickylong@aol.com'" <Mickylong@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rough idle REDUX; status report
From: Walt Philipson <WaltP@Anspach.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:45:25 -0400
"If anyone else has suggestions on why I'm not getting a vacuum reading I'd
love to know.  Or I might be asking Vance to borrow "Benny"."

Mickey

The port for the vacuum port on the rear carb is located very close to the
throttle plate. Once the plate is rotated off idle, the plate moves past the
port and the port is then located on the "up stream" side of the throttle
plate. (The only vacuum upstream of the throttle plates is that caused by
the pressure drop of the air flowing through the air filter and past the
jets. Manifold vacuum occurs only after the throttle plates.)

I had the same problem caused by two things. My throttle plate was installed
backwards (it's tapered to match the wall when closed) and my timing was too
retarded resulting in too much throttle opening to maintain idle speed.

If you are trying to measure manifold vacuum, I would suggest using the
brake booster port.

Walt Philipson
'74 TR6