RE: "trafficator" problem

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "trafficator" problem
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:11:44 -0700
Joe,

Don't worry about the silicon (too much), Silicone is not a conductor soit
will not effect you.

I saw another reply explaining the lamps but wanted to add this.  The
"bullet" splices are often over looked as a cause of problems.  When I redid
my '72 I inspected one or two found them bad and then replaced everyone of
them.

ANY resistance in a given circuit will limit the current through that
particular circuit.  the lights flash because current going through the
flasher heats a bi-metallic strip, that bends opens the circuit, etc. etc.
The bad splices add resistance causeing lower current, causing the flasher
to work slower or not at all.  This sounds strange but the effect may be a
very short flash of light and a very long off period.

regards,

Steve