Re: TR 250 Hoses

To: <GSFuqua1@aol.com>, <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR 250 Hoses
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:03:01 -0400
Gary Fuqua wrote:

> No idea on TRF.  Guess I should call Charles or John and ask.  I have
> thought about the making of some.  I actually have gone so far as to find
> some yellow tape but no idea how it would hold up with the heat.  The
> only originals I have seen were not a very bright yellow, couldn't tell if
it
> was due to age, heat or just the color.  If I decide to try the made up
> route I will let the list know how it turns out.

They are relatively bright yellow when new, however the hoses did have a
transparent coating over the yellow which becomes brittle and brown with
age.  The result is that the coating flakes off, taking quite a bit of the
yellow stripe with it.  I have an NOS TR250 / early TR6 servo hose with the
single yellow stripe and it is such a shame to look at it and see the
brittle coating and know that it used to be a pristine hose 35 years ago.

That said, you can make your own.  Power British in Norristown should be
able to make you a set, as they did for a customer's TR250.  From what I
remember during the time I was employed there, yellow Plasticote was used to
form the stripes.  The Plasticote was formed in a relatively long line on
wax paper to the correct width of the yellow spiral lines.  Once the
Plasticote had cured it was pealed from the wax paper and carefully applied
in a seamless pattern all the way around the radiator hoses, taking care to
maintain the correct spacing.  I can not recall what adhesive was used for
this though.  The end result was very impressive... although all I could
think of at the time was that it was incredibly obsessive to try and
recreate a radiator hose that will perish in a few years anyway.  I can not
comment on the durability of this method either, as the Fall semester had
already started for me and I have not seen that particular TR250 since.

When I locate my servo hose, I will post an image of the hose so that anyone
who wants can try and color match as closely as possible to the original
yellow (within the color display limits of your monitor and video card).

Kai