RE: shaking steering wheel

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>
Subject: RE: shaking steering wheel
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:15:25 -0400
Joe,

When you say " I knew the wire wheels were not the best" what did you
mean?

Are they used and abused and possibly untrue, or did you mean that they
were not the best choice of "new wheels".

"They were true from the factory". I'm assuming that you are referring
to the "new" wire wheels. Tires never are! Did you indicate the wheels
after they were mounted?

Jim Swarthout

My steering wheel shakes an awful lot despite a complete front end
rebuild
with upgraded bushings, new springs and  new shocks.  I replaced the
steering
rack mounts with the billet aluminum mounts from Richard Good.
(amplifies the
problem for sure)  The front end was professionally aligned, and the
tires are
new.   I knew the wire wheels were not the best, so I tried to get rid
of the
shaking by putting  2 new Dayton's on the front end.  They were true
from the
factory.    I'm hoping that the shaking is just due to poorly balanced
wheels.
I cannot find anyone locally who can spin balance the wheels per the
Dayton
instructions.  So, my mechanic used the same technique as he uses on
everything
else. The shaking starts at 60mph and does not go away.  I can suppress
the
shaking if I really grasp the wheel firmly, but this is fatiguing.  Any
ideas?
Joe Davis (my 3d posting after a 300 mile trip)