Re: Where are we going?

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Where are we going?
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:09:00 -0400
Jonmac,

I have always enjoyed & admired you inside knowledge and insight of the
Triumph mark but I must disagree with you recent post on the future of
the TR. Certainly this ia all a mater of opinion and this is what the
list is all about.
 From my first 1969 TR6 , bought in 1971 I was hooked. Not knowing a
thing about cars much less Triumphs, I was hypnotized by the tough look
and throaty exhaust of the TR6. My first TR was responsible for the
beginning of my thirst to repair & improve my cars .
 From the day the automobile was invented it has been improved. Any car
enthusiast who has repaired his or her own car has looked at a repair,
thought about the engineering behind it and has said to themselves, I
can improve on the original design & avoid this failure again. There are
many new automotive technologies that apply to any classic or antique.
These are not bad things. They keep the marks alive and prospering. They
bring new blood in to the circle, whether it be purists or improvers.
Unfortunately the looped discussions will always be part of the process
as cars and owners are turned over and their questions need to be answered.
If Triumph had never felt the constant push to improve the TR2 would
never have evolved to the TR6, 7 or 8, better brakes, steering and
comfort. The need for better replacement parts helps vendors widen there
selection which further helps the future of the car.
I am by no means a purist but the changes I have made apply to my needs
and driving habits. My car is driven nearly every day, it's considerably
safer than the original and keeps up with any modern car in it's class.
It is the changes & improvements that allow me to drive this car every
day and make it reliable. Is it still a classic ? , you bet. Along with
the endless hours under & above the car I have spent I still get a
thrill every time I sit down and turn the key.
Personally I have no fear that the future of the Triumph mark is in good
hands and will prosper for many years to come.
Respectfully yours

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.