Re: Where are we going?

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Where are we going?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:04:22 -0400
Jonmac wrote;

> Generally speaking, it is my perception that the majority of US
> enthusiasts strive for 'total originality' in the restoration process
> of their cars that borders almost on manic obsession - though
> there are many exceptions to this rule. By contrast, in the UK
> and Europe (don't know about further afield) we tend to take a
> more laid back approach to originality as a whole OK, I'm at
> ease with all of that.

About 50% of the people I sell parts to strive for total originality, the
other 50% are more performance oriented but still wish to retain the classic
character and styling of their car but with the modern outputs and abilities
they have grown accustomed to.  I do have some obsessive customers that will
buy NOS parts at any cost.  I have two specific customers, who are both
friends of mine, who will purchase NOS fuel tank sending units rather than a
reproduction.  I've never seen a bad repro TR6 fuel tank sending unit.  It
is not a part you see, no one knows what box it comes in.  But hey, I take
the more relaxed approach to classic car ownership.

I> It seems utterly pointless and periodically makes me wonder why I
> continue to persevere with the movement as a whole. Frankly I am
> bored rigid by what I read in my email box each day. My first move will
> probably be to cancel my participation in these various lists, then jack
in
> my clubs memberships - and finally, sell the cars to someone who will
> want to turn them into something they were never designed to be.

I am not a car club person.  I have had memberships to the local clubs, I
know some of the guys, but they tend to be more about socializing and beer
guzzling with a bunch of like-minded individuals who own the same car rather
than discussing the actual cars.  This is one the reasons I tend to prefer
the mailing lists, the BS factor is much more limited.

The point is, if you're worried about what other people think or how they
act towards their own car, don't.  Owning a Triumph (or any old car) is a
personal experience, we all do it because have some sort of personal tie to
these vehicles.  There should be no (or very few) moments that you think
about what other people are doing to their TRs.  Who cares if they put a 200
shot of Nitrous in the truck, it'll be a good laugh when their motors
explode.

As for me, I tell everyone that asks about my TR6 that it is a Hyundai...
usually ends all conversations.  It is my car, I won't spare time to
introduce you to it, or tell you about what is under the hood.  Just let me
be, just let me drive it, just let me be happy about my own car.  When you
care about how other people want to enjoy their vehicles you end up missing
the whole point of owning your own vehicle, especially one as unique as a
Triumph saloon or sports car.

Kai